Renovating your house can be an exciting process. It’s a time to spruce up your living space and breathe new life into it. But we know the task is a difficult one and depending on the project, it can be stressful to think about. There are many factors involved that you should think about before the work begins. In this post, we’ve compiled a checklist so you can organize and make the process go smoothly.
1. Planning Your Design
You don’t need to make full-blown architectural blueprints to get things started, but having a simple sketch on a notepad (or even a tablet), can help you visualize your goals when it comes to making a renovation to your home. When planning your design, here are things to think about:
- Have a budget in mind so you can plan properly
- Come up with a list of wants vs. needs
- Plan a timeframe
- Make a list of tasks so you can prepare for the job
- Apply for permits if necessary
2. Address Any Structural Issues that May Arise
Depending on your project, you may need to think about your house in general, such as:
- Checking up on any structural issues like weakened walls, joists and carrying beams to protect your renovation
- Checking your windows to see if they pose a threat to your project
- Checking to see if there are any plumbing or electrical issues that might hinder or get in the way of your timeframe
It’s a good idea to have a handle on anything that can stall your home renovation.
3. Rent a Large Waste Container
If there is going to be a lot of demolition involved with your home renovation project, then getting a large waste container is in your best interest. Not only will it properly discard the waste from demolition, but it will help you stay organized and on task. Essentially, the large waste container will eliminate your worry of where the trash is going to go and to keep it from building up in your work space.
4. Choosing a Contractor
After you have an idea of what your renovation entails, you can plan to do the project yourself, hire a contractor, or mix-and-match the tasks between yourself and a contractor. Whatever it may be, your organization will help you decide on what’s best for your project.
Who We Are
With more than 20 years of experience, Liberty Restoration has made a name for itself for our excellent remodeling and restoration services, and you can check them out here. We pride ourselves on the detailed, efficient work we’ve provided to Utah over the years.