24 Hour Emergency Services

Salt Lake Area - 385-217-2230
Saint George - 435-222-5895

Fire Prevention Tips from Liberty Restoration

From manageable kitchen blazes to total infernos, a fire in your home of any size is terrifying. The National Fire Prevention Association estimates that U.S. fire departments responded to around 365,500 home fires in 2015. Fires can level your home, severely damage your property or worse. Liberty Restoration professionals have helped homes across your area recover from home fire damage. Luckily, there are ways to prevent fires in your home and be smart if a fire does strike.

Fire Prevention Starts in Your Home

While accidental fires happen, there are several ways you can lower the risks. Start by inspecting your home’s electrical and HVAC system. Be sure your air ducts, heating components and wiring are updated and in good shape. If you see frayed extension cords or wiring, fix or replace them. Avoid running wiring under rugs, hanging electrical components with nails or placing them in high traffic areas. Faulty wiring and heating can be a big, contributing factor to house fires. Power strips are a popular item to have in your home, but you’ll want to avoid overloading them as well.

We also recommend keeping your dryer trap clean after every laundry use as dryer lint is a flammable substance. Other flammable substances found outside your house such as firewood, leaf piles and other yard waste should be stored far away from your home to avoid spreading a fire.

In the Kitchen

Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, you should always keep fire safety in mind in the kitchen. No matter what you’re making, you should never leave your home when cooking anything on your stove or in your oven. Keeping a close eye on your dish can help you prevent kids or pets away from cooking surfaces and countertops. Towels, pot holders, curtains or other fabrics can catch fire on your stove without close supervision as well.

Cooking can be hectic, but you should always do it safely. When using cooking oil or other greasy substances, avoid grease fires by keeping them far away from the stove or oven. If you do see a grease fire in your kitchen, DO NOT USE WATER. Water expands quickly, causing the fire to grow and gain more momentum. Instead, turn off the heat source and don’t panic. For smaller grease fires, use a generous amount of baking soda or salt but Class B dry chemical fire extinguishers tend to be the most effective.

Fire Prevention is a Family Affair

Teaching your children about the dangers of fire and proper fire prevention can prevent serious accidents in the future. Show your children how matches, lighters and hot surfaces can be dangerous and harmful if played with. They should also know how to call 9-1-1 and the family emergency escape plan. It’s smart to have two options of escape from each bedroom in your home and to practice at least twice a year.

Your fire alarms are your family’s first line of defense against fire damage. Test your alarms every month and change the batteries as needed. You and your family should know where to find and how to use the fire extinguisher in your home as well.

Fire Damage Restoration from Liberty Restoration

When your family cooks smart and live smart, you can lower the chances of a house fire in your home. And while accidents happen, there is still hope for after a fire. Liberty Restoration offers fire damage restoration services to your area after fires big and small.

Our Affiliations

Contract Connection Network Member

RIA Member

Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification

NFIB Member Badge

Business Networks Member

IIRC Member